SAP BTP (SAP Business Technology Platform)
SAP Business Technology Platform (SAP BTP) is a platform which combines the capabilities of data and analytics, artificial intelligence, application development, automation and integration under a single umbrella and creates a unified environment. SAP BTP is a layered cake and underpinning of the stack which consists of Infrastructure, Technology, Application development and Business structure
As the industry becomes heavily dependent on data and the insights it can serve, critical things in focus are utilizing the platform which can suffice the development of accelerated applications with no code tools, robotic process automation for increased productivity and transforming the business with artificial intelligence. All of these can be achieved within the platform of SAP BTP
Key things to know about SAP BTP
- Multi-Cloud and Hybrid – SAP BTP can be used across all SAP eco-systems and helps to create a hybrid environment. The foundation is built in open standards and API provides ways to innovate and creates domain model for software stack. It can be available in either multi cloud, or hybrid version i.e., on-premise and cloud
- The 4 Pillars of BTP
- Database and Data Management applications – his is the key component which helps to store data, access and aggregate data in a secure way and perform data orchestration. It also allows to leverage HANA (in memory platform) capabilities.
- Analytics (SAP Analytics Cloud) – Analytics and enterprise cloud capabilities are available in a rich and secure environment. These help to build the dashboards, and other processing to present the data in a compact and an efficient way.
- Application Development and Intelligent Robotic Process Automation – Application development and Integration is one of the most important features of BTP. Integration helps to bring multiple modules in BTP and connect any system with the available BTP system
- Low code to no code environment using AppGyver
- Hundreds of open connectors like Amazon Marketplace, Evernote, Google Analytics etc. are available for SAP to non-SAP
- Integration advisor can be used to gives us the tools and API which are compatible for SAP and non-SAP.
- Modifications are not required to be made in core but outside in the SAP BTP platform by making the changes in the extensions
- Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning – Intelligent Technologies like SAP Leonardo which can natively embed AI in applications are available within the SAP BTP Platform. It also allows to utilize features such as document information extraction which is extracting attachments from emails, document classification and intercompany reconciliation
- Better Together – the capability to connect SAP cloud applications with non–SAP applications and also IOT related applications.
Source – SAP
Source – SAP
Services provided under SAP BTP platform
There are various services provided under the SAP BTP Cloud platform. Some of the commonly used are
- Conversational AI – It is used to automate the processes using chatbots and integrate them with either Fiori or other applications
- Integration Suite – It helps to develop and manage enterprise-wide integration across heterogenous landscapes
- SAP Analytics cloud – This is used to derive the data and build analytical solutions on top of the available data to get the useful insights generally utilized by executives or decision makers
- SAP App Gyver – Recently acquired by SAP, this is a low code, now code platform to build sophisticated applications with minimum customization.
- Process Automation –This is a solution to automate current processes and increase the productivity by reducing the manual efforts and finding revenue from places which even customers didn’t know that existed.
Best practices to follow in SAP BTP
- Setup and Plan – it is important to conduct adequate research and set up proper landscape according to the requirements to prevent any failures
- Develop and Build – There are multiple tools available to build applications including full customization to low code, no code. It is important to understand the third-party integrations available and required within the application
- Deploy and Deliver – Once applications are created, it is important to move them correctly across the landscapes without any issues to prevent any future breakdowns
- Integrate and test – Along with the unit testing that takes place in the developer’s environment, it is critical to test the application as a whole along the third-party integrations utilized. This will ensure the proper functionality of front-end, back-end and the API’s
- Go-Live and Monitor – Once the applications are available for end-users to start utilizing, it is important to check for the performance and day-to-day related issues and fix them with best available methods, to make sure errors are not repeated.
- Improve and Retire – If the application works properly, it is important to maintain and evolve with new features. If the work for that application is finishes, it should be retired.
At Mobolutions we have developed a fully custom FIORI application using the BAS environment in SAP BTP that is powering our customers with efficient asset management capabilities. Our PM360 app is deployable application both on-premise as well as on the cloud. Check out PM360 app at Mobolutions PM360. Questions on BTP or if you would like to learn more about our BTP suite of products don’t hesitate to reach out to me at Ashish Khandelwal.